Through funding from Youth Service America, the Office of Civic & Community Engagement is able to support a handful of youth-led community-based projects in Winston-Salem with eight, $250 mini-grants. This grant is a part of a larger collaboration with HandsOn NWNC & Forsyth County Young Leaders Program to increase youth service engagement in Winston-Salem.
We know that the youth in our city have budding ideas. We also know these ideas are less likely to be funded. We want to support youth-led projects so that we can all benefit from what grows out of them.
Proposals for the youth engagement grant are due by October 31, 2020, and are reviewed by a collaborative team from the Office of Civic & Community Engagement, HandsOn NWNC, and youth from Forsyth County Young Leaders Program using the following criteria :
- Youth-led: Is there a youth (ages 16-25) leading the project?
- Issue-based: Is the issue to be addressed clearly stated? Does the plan adequately address the issue?
- Partnership: Is there a clear partnership between the youth and a community-based organization? How strong is the partnership? In what ways will the grant benefit the ongoing development of the partnership?
- Sustainability: Is the funding requested part of a larger, long-term initiative or goal? How will the funding support the strategic goals of the overall project?
- Operational Excellence: Is there a clear budget? How will success be measured?
- Alignment with Focus Areas/Community Needs: Does the project align with one of the OCCE strategic impact areas? If not, how does the project connect to community needs?
In addition, youth engagement grants must:
- Not be used to purchase alcohol or to engage in partisan political activity
- Be under $250
- Clearly connect Winston Salem youth with community partners on a collaborative project/initiative
- Allow community-based projects to build capacity for future, continued work
- Provide reporting on how the money was spent by April 1, 2021, along with copies/scans of receipts
- September 17, 2020
- September 15, 2020
- September 14, 2020