Furkids is the largest no-kill animal shelter in the state of Georgia. Their mission: to rescue homeless animals, provide them with the best possible medical care, and support them in a nurturing environment while working to find their forever homes. Students will work alongside Furkids staff to renovate their new shelter location, organize and renovate the thrift store, exercise and care for the dogs/puppies, and socialize the cats/kittens.
Wake Alternative Break (WAB) is a week-long alternative spring break program for Wake Forest University undergraduate students. Students will depart for their trips beginning March 7, 2020 and return no later than March 15, 2020.
By participating in Wake Alternative Break, students have the opportunity to visit cities within driving distance from Winston-Salem, and provide direct-service while visiting. WAB seeks to facilitate service, build community among participants, encourage experiential learning around a social issue, and inspire participants to return back to campus motivatd to positively impact not only their university, but their local, national, and international communities.
Applications are accepted on a rolling basis, and trips are filled on a first-come, first-served basis. Once registration is closed, participants meet with their Wake Alternative Break trip leaders to prepare for their trips.
Wake Alternative Break Trip locations for 2020 are: Atlanta, Ga., Chicago, Ill., Johnston City, Tenn., New Orleans, La., Otway, Ohio, and Shenandoah Valley, Va.
Be A Trip Leader
Leaders are responsible for recruiting participants, facilitating pre-service orientation, managing daily reflections, and handling trip logistics.
Be A WAB Participant
All students must apply to participate. Applications are open until February 7, 2020, and spots are filled on a first-come, first-served basis.
Wake Alternative Break will run from Saturday, March 7, 2020 through Sunday, March 15, 2020. Departure and return dates will vary from trip to trip.
It is $350 to attend a trip. Leaders attend at a reduced rate of $175. A $100 non-refundable deposit is due upon acceptance to the program and counts toward the total cost.
Do you have questions about Wake Alternative Break, what it takes to be a trip leader, or are looking for more details about specific trips? Please contact Deb Marke.
2020 Wake Alternative Break Locations
Wake Alternative Break 101
- There is a $350.00 participation fee that covers all program activities, transportation, and food for participants.
- Due to the responsibility that comes with being a WAB trip leader, leaders participate at a reduced rate of $175 per trip.
- A $100 non-refundable deposit is required upon acceptance to the program, and counts toward the cost of the trip.
- Participant and leader fees can be paid online, via check, or with cash.
- Checks should be made out to Wake Forest University with the student’s name and trip listed in the memo, and turned into the OCCE
- The OCCE is happy to assist students who need financial assistance by connecting them with available scholarship opportunities.